Then there were the occasions, when we would swap roles.
One of my housemates was quite willing to cook... fbut wasn't the most refined of chefs. Her dish of choice was risotto. But she didn't like the way that risotto rice 'got all wet', and as we were students and we worked our pennies hard, the main feature of a risotto-a-la-housemate was frozen, cheap as they come, sausage. Lets just say, the memory of gritty uncooked rice and bland meat has meant that the idea of risotto just hasn't ever tempted me...
Except this week.
You see, the thing is, I bought a few too many mushrooms... (even I agree that 4 packs between 2 people is a bit excessive). So I decided to see what I could whip up that was Slimming World friendly. The result? Something so delicious and simple that its made me completely re-think my dislike of risotto.
Mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms (seriously, many many mushrooms - I used 300gm of closed cup mushrooms and 200gm chestnut mushrooms)
250gm risotto rice
600ml chicken bovril
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic
2 extra light laughing cow triangles
1 tablespoon of fat free fromagefrais
- Chop the onion, mushrooms and the garlic and cook in a small amount of the chicken bovril until soft.
- Add rice and fry for 1 minute
- Add more stock so that is just covers the rice and stir occasionally
- Once most of stock has been absorbed, gradually add more. Reduced and add more stock until all the stock has been included and the liquid has reduced
- Whilst hot stir in the two cheese triangles and fromage frais, once melted, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
(Try not to scoff the lot... because seriously, it's awesome).